Pandemonium As Police, Navy Clashed Over Control Of Tankers In Lagos.

Pandemonium erupted Tuesday afternoon in Lagos following sporadic shooting, as Police operatives and Nigerian Navy engaged in a clash over control of movement of tankers.

Two policemen identified as Sergeant Tunde and Mogbojuri, attached to Badia Police Station, were said to have been beaten to stupor in the fracas which occurred at the Ijora axis of Apapa- Wharf Road.

While the beaten of Mogbojuri was a bit mild, that of his colleague was said to be severe as his uniform was 
tored by the Naval personnel.

Operators of  Tricycles, popularly known as Marwa and drivers of other commercial vehicles which normally use the area as their loading bay were said to have scampered for safety.

Hawkers, passersby and motorists plying the road to Apapa and Lagos Island, according to eye witness quickly made a detour to avoid being trapped in the mêlée.

Though, no casualty was recorded, our correspondent gathered that
 operatives from both side shot sporadically with their guns placed horizontally.

It was reliably gathered that the crisis started when two Naval Personnel led a tanker from the Western avenue axis of the road towards Apapa was stopped by the police operatives stationed at the scene of the incident referred to as three squared under the Ijora bridge.

According to eyewitness, the cops had challenged the driver of the tanker for not queueing behind others and also not being cleared by them.

The action of the policemen was said to have been seen as an effrontery by the Naval ratings, who subsequently leashed some slap on the cops.

In the ensuing melee, Naval personnel were said to have been joined by their colleagues who were on top of the bridge in solidarity.

The Naval operatives,according to eyewitness account arrived in a pick up van marked GGE 499 DZ,with OP MESA 3 inscribed on the body.

The witness who identified himself simply as Mohammed said the policemen beat a retreat when it was apparent that the Naval men were having an upper hand.

He added that Sgt. Tunde hurriedly ran to the station to inform his superior officers, who immediately followed him to the scene.

Led by the DCO. a female Deputy Superintendent, who name could not be identified, the operations officer DSP.Talabi and the station officer Inspector Asuquo, the victims were said to have narrated the incident to the DCO, who immediately took  Sgt. Tunde and two others to the office of the Area "B" Commander  Apapa for briefing.

As at the time of filing the report, the team were still in the Commander's office.

  • ,

  • or

  • No comments